Winter 2013 Newsletter
You've probably noticed in our weekly fishing reports that many of the flow reporting stations are down for the winter, and the flows that are reporting are for the most part pretty low. Nonetheless, there is some great fishing to be had around our state and in Wyoming to the North. In Colorado, there's the Big T at Estes Park, The St Vrain at Buttonrock, the Taylor River below Taylor Park Reservoir, The Blue at Silverthorn, the South Platte system, the Arkansas below Pueblo Reservoir, The Frying Pan below Reudi Reservoir and the Yampa at Stagecoach. In Wyoming, try the Gray Reef and Miracle Mile sections of the North Platte.
Customer Reward Programs
Our primary reward program tracks your purchases; when you have cumulatively purchased $100, you receive a $5.00 discount on your next purchase. We also from time to time run 5% off coupon specials when you make a single purchase over $25.00. Many of you have already benefitted from these discounts.
Saturday Tying Clinics
Saturday morning clinics will continue at their usual Saturday morning time slot from 10:00 - noon. We have a great lineup of guest tyers that includes old favorites and some new faces, too. Check the schedule here.
Fly Tying Classes
We can tell you from our own experience that there are few more exciting things in fly fishing than catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself. A beginning 2-3 hour class is just $75, and we supply the tools and materials. You also receive a 10% discount on your initial tool and materials purchase. Classes are one-on-one (unless you get a group together), and teach you to tie five fish-catching bugs. The five patterns cover a variety of basic techniques and materials that will allow you to tie many more patterns. An extended five class seies covers a lot more techniques and patterns for $250.
In the Shop
New Rods from Sage:
- Circa- The Circa rod with Konnetic technology is a game changer in the slow-action style of dry fly fishing. Its hypnotically smooth slower tempo combined with crisp and precise loading and unloading of each cast results in unmatched accuracy and delicate presentations. The Circa is a perfect addition to your rod collection, allowing you to approach a river with stealthy, short-range accuracy. In 2 to 5 wt; $745- 775.
- Approach- Calling Sage's all-new Approach series rods "entry level" just doesn't do them justice. Utilizing a higher modulus graphite than any of their previous entry-level rods, the Approach has a medium-fast action that provides excellent line feel and control. Beginning casters can easily grow with this rod without ever feeling they've outgrown it. In 3 to 9 wt. $295.
- Response- Sage's never-ending mantra to improve performance is on full display in their all-new Response series rods. The combination of proven tapers and premium materials has resulted in this family of notably smooth casting, fast-action rods. Dressed with stylish wraps and other upgrades, the Response is an aptly named fishing machine that follows your lead. In to 12 wt. $395 - 399.
- Voyant- The Voyant family of fast action fly rods are smooth casting, high-performing and versatile enough for the beginner to the more advanced anglers. The Voyant is not a new model, but one we haven't carried before except in combos. It's a great rod for those who are looking to take the next step up from an entry level rod. In 3 to 10 wt. $189.95
- Tempt- Designed for the trout angler, the Tempt series features a medium action, titanium oxide stripping guides, alignment dots for easy assembly, and a ballistic nylon tube. Available in both 4- ($169.95) and 6-piece ($189.95) models.
- Westwater Sling Pack- Waterproof sling bag with a waist strap, zippered compartments, rod tube straps and a breathable mesh back and strap for comfort. $149.95
- Nimbus Guide Pack- Lightweight, waterproof breathable fabric with 1680 ballistic baccents, Air LTE lumbar support, integrated guide net slot, bottom cinch straps for an extra layer or rod tube, large zippered main opening with two organization pockets, front zippered pocket for quick access items, exterior Hypalon®, and cord tabs for gear attachment, two water bottle holders. $119.95
Korkers KGB Boots
Korkers Guide Boots incorporate the comfort and technical functionality previously found in all Korkers wading boots, while enhancing stability and durability. Extra durable rubber, mesh and laces were added along with a TPU cage, improved ankle support and Vibram Idro Grip outsoles, excusive to the KGB, significantly raising the performance of this guide-level wading boot. $229.99
- Rio Tippet Guide Spools- These spools have 110 yards of tippet instead of the standard 30 yards. Available in mono 3X-6X ($11.95) or fluorocarbon 4X-6X ($39.95). Great savings either way.
- Rio Line Cleaning Towelettes- Conveniently packaged line cleaning pads made to carry in your vest or fanny pack. Regular use will lengthen the life of your line. 99 cents.
- Sonic Pro Jacket- A premium four-layer windproof, waterproof, breathable jacket. All seams are sonically welded to prevent leakage. This is a great jacket with all the features to make your fishing more comfortable in foul weather. $299.95
- Spirit River Tungsten "Thread"- This interesting product comes in two very small sizes that is ideal for adding weight to small flies. It is actually a very fine wire that can be used in a bobbin like thread, or simply wrapped on the hook shank to add weight- so small that it won't add bulk to your wee midgies. $4.50
- Soft Grip Tying Tools- These tools have a soft square rubber grip applied to their handles to make tying a little easier for those of us older folks whose fingers don't work quite as well as they used to, or for those just looking for a more comfortable tying experience.
- Loon Clear Finish- Join the move to harder UV curing resins. Use in place of epoxy on fly heads and wing cases, or for coating midge patterns. Comes in thick or thin viscosities. $28.50
That's it for this time. See you in the shop or on the water.
The Laughing Grizzly Staff